Friday, August 04, 2006

Australia Fair

"Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free,
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare,
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair."

-From Australian National Anthem


We've done so much, that it's hard to know what to say. I'll try to provide the Cliff's Note version. P. is here with me and is helping me write this post.

Generally speaking we've been lucky with the weather. We had a bit of a torrential downpour yesterday, but for the rest of the week the weather had been sunny (though often brisk). Today, it's sunny and we're heading into Centennial Park (Sydney's Central Park). Yesterday (during the rain) we went to the Gallery of New South Wales. It was great to check out some Aussie art. I'm a particularly big fan of Aboriginal Art. It's at once very simplistic, but deeply fascinating and complex.

Thursday we went to the Blue Mountains -- saw the Three Sisters and took the steepest railway in the world. It was beautiful. It felt like New Mexico if it had rainforests.

I'm in P.'s cousin's house right now and people are clamoring for the laptop. I'm signing off now. I'll try to post soon and include pics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home