Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Genki Desu (I am Well)


"If you have health, you probably will be happy, and if you have health and happiness, you have all the wealth you need, even if it is not all you want." ~Elbert Hubbard

I've decided that 2010 is a year to focus on being genki. Genki is a Japanese term meaning healthy or well. It's more broad than how we normally think of those terms. It's about wellness in mind, body, and spirit. A person who's genki is physically fit, but also cheerful and vibrant. I think I'm generally pretty genki, but my goal is to be even more genki and to fully embody this into 2010.

So in pursuit if this healthier me, I've decided to take a 21-Day Vegan Challenge. I'm eating vegan for 3 weeks. I'm on Day 3 right now. I think that with a lighter, more plant-based diet I will be feeling better and will be healthier. So far, it's been promoting healthier eating, but I'm not feeling so genki in the mind and spirit. In fact for the past couple days I've been pretty pissed off. Partly I can attribute it to my special time of the month. However, I think the real reason I'm feeling negative emotion is because I've been suppressing my negative emotions with food. Those foods laden with fat and calories are numbing and have been my drug. I've felt like this before when I've done the Master Cleanse. In the first few days of fasting, negative emotions come up for me. It's a physical as well as emotion detox. It's not pretty, but it's good stuff. It comes up so it can be released.

So, while I'm not feeling mentally very genki right now, I know that after a few more days of this emotional detox I'll be feeling better than ever. And if not, I've only committed for 18 more days. If I don't feel better at the end of this 3 weeks, I'll happily run to and savor the nearest bacon cheeseburger.

1 Comments:

Blogger Perkidiablo said...

bacon makes everything better!

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home