Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Work Retreat

It's Sunday morning and I'm recovering from a work retreat in Palm Springs. I am in no position to complain, but I'm tired after a weekend of heavy schmoozing and slightly too heavy boozing.

On Thursday afternoon, Susan and I, got into my trusty Civic and headed out to Palm Springs. We stopped at some est. 1952 Mexican place called Lupe's on the way for some moderately satisfying Mexican food (they did have great salsa though) and then also stopped at the outlets in Cabazon. I promised myself that I wouldn't do too much damage, but that I would buy something for the new place. Also, I'd found $60 in a purse and I felt like it was a gift from my past self to my present self. Susan and I put ourselves on a "strict" time limit of 75 minutes and we were off. I ended up doing a fabulous job at Club Monaco -- one dress, one skirt, and one blouse for $62 -- and at Crate & Barrel's (one night stand for $40, down from $169). There's something about sales. I'm going to have to put all my Hip Girlz jewelry on sale. If you think you're getting a deal, it's hard to resist.

I came back early (left yesterday afternoon) and went to the KCRW Sounds Eclectic concert. I discovered a new amazing band -- Cafe Tacuba (I wasn't as impressed with the other bands I saw) and was absolutely amazed by Cold Play. They're fantastic in concert.

I need to get ready for brunch, but wanted to talk about Friday night at the firm retreat. The retreat committee had set up a talent show. Various attorneys went onstage to sing and play instruments. They also had a hysterically funny emcee (a stand-up comic who's appeared on Leno and Conan O'Brien among other places). Anyway, everyone in the audience was half-expecting the Gibson people to suck really badly and to be an embarassment to themselves and to others. The title of the show was "Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, An Embarassment of Riches" after all! Actually though, everyone ended up being super good and just so incredibly brave. The show went over fabulously, and left me with the feeling that I should be performing. I kept asking myself, "Would I have had the courage to get up there and sing?"

Later that night at the hospitality suite I discovered the karaoke machine. Joel invited me to sing a song and even offered to do a duet with me. We sang a rousing rendition of Love Shack. Well, I'm not sure how rousing it was. The funny thing about karaoke there was that noone appeared to be listening. It was like singing in the car or shower. Few people showed any interest, so I ended up singing most of the night. It was great fun and has renewed my motivation to sing again. I'm talking with someone about getting voice lessons. Yeehaw!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home