Tuesday, June 13, 2006

NPI Project

As many of you know, I have committed to helping the mentally ill by raising funds for the UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute (NPI). I am leading a team of designers in a project known as the NPI Renovation/Healing Project to renovate and redesign the offices where the patients are treated. My first goal is to raise $10,000 in one week. If 100 people send 100 dollars, this could be done in moments! Please read the following Statement of Intention for more details.

Checks should be payable to UC Regents;
For NPI Renovation Project

If you would like to send your tax deductible donation please e-mail me at info@hipgirlz.com.

Many blessings and thanks!



Statement of Intention

Intention
Our intention in this project is to create a nurturing and therapeutic environment at the UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute and Stewart & Lynda Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital ("NPI") to promote maximum healing for the patients. The NPI is one of the world's leading centers for comprehensive patient care, research and education in the fields of mental health and developmental disabilities. Despite the top-notch research and patient care, the facilities are in poor shape. We plan to raise funds to renovate and design a beautiful and functional work and therapy space for the resident doctors of NPI. This project will entail repainting walls, replacing flooring, designing and installing furniture, updating the soundproofing, and changing out the lighting.


Background
Last year, a close relative of mine experienced a mental breakdown and had to check in to the NPI. This was completely unexpected and a shock to our family. As a way to offer my support, I went to visit her during her short stay there.


I am a lawyer at a prestigious law firm in downtown Los Angeles. I consider myself a happy and healthy person. But that day, I walked into the visitor center of the in-patient facility and had to use all my inner resolve not to cry. It wasn’t the people (the staff is top-notch), it was the space! Instead of a soft and sunny atmosphere conducive to healing, the reception area was dank and stifling. The furniture was old and sagging. The paint was peeling. The whole place smelled of decay. I couldn’t imagine how this place could help anyone experiencing mental difficulties. It was making happy-go-lucky me want to ask the nearest doctor for anti-depressants. I felt terrible for my relative and the other patients. I knew that something had to be done.


I hugged my relative and vowed to her that I would do everything in my power to revive the space – for the sake of the patients who spend countless hours, days, months or even years there.


Shortly thereafter, I contacted the hospital and offered my services. They were completely receptive and said that if I wanted to raise the money and manage the project, they would very much appreciate any assistance. The catch? The in-patient facility was already being redone. The building had been condemned! However, they said that the residents’ offices (offices for doctors doing their residency) where they treat patients needed some aid. My project went from being a one-room remodel to a 36-office re-design.


Upon seeing the offices, I realized that this situation was even more dire than the in-patient visitor room. The offices are tiny, windowless rooms with shabby furniture, drab walls, harsh fluorescent lighting, soul-less tiling, and out-of-date sound-proofing. Nothing had been updated since the 1960s when the building went up. Not only are the doctors expected to work in these boxes, but they must also treat patients in these rooms. Upon seeing the space, one patient commented to her psychiatrist, “I live in the ghetto, and I've never seen anything as bad as this!” Upon seeing the offices, I could believe it!


I have decided to rise to the challenge of remodeling this section of the hospital. I put together an amazing team of people, comprised of two interior designers, a Feng Shui consultant (feng shui is the Chinese practice of environmental design), and a handful of dedicated people to help raise funds. We have committed to raising $750,000 for this entire project and completing the re-design of these offices.


Conclusion
The space in which we live and breathe has a tremendous effect on our well-being. It is our hope to aid the healing process of the patients at the NPI. We thank you in advance for your support towards this cause and graciously receive any support you may give.


Please make your tax deductible donation today!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home