Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Rats!

I think somehow I was cured of my rat phobia. I was walking through the Columbus Circle Subway station trying to get to the 1 subway train heading downtown this morning when I saw a fat rat, about the size of a small squirrel, scurrying about 100 feet in front of me. It ran across the stairs, down a wall, and through a door. I saw it's shadow hanging out in the door frame. I did not scream. I did not get anxious. I did not grip my bag in terror. I did not start hyperventilating. I think I'm cured. I calmly kept walking, finding the rat to be almost... cute and just kept thinking what a proud day this is. I almost felt sorry for the rat. It was obviously afraid to be running around so out in the open. Or maybe it was not afraid... hovering in that door waiting to strike at it's next victim. Just playing. I'm cured! Hurray!

On another note... I went for drinks last night with Ekow and Jeroen. Before that I went to the Whole Foods in Columbus Circle to grab some groceries. It is a beautifully displayed store. I wanted to buy everything I saw -- the veggies, fruits, freshly-baked breads, exotic imported cheeses, and other gastronomic delights were so enticing. I was limited by the size of the liliputian baskets they give you and the fact that I was hand carrying the bags home (only two and a half blocks, but still.) It's probably a good thing anyway, it was EXPENSIVE! There is quite a disparity between the cost of fruits and vegetable in California and in New York. Yowsers!

I ran home, dropped off the groceries, changed and then ran to meet Ekow and Jeroen. What a great night for my ego. These fine lads... quite the ardent metrosexuals... between waxing poetic about the new pieces of fine cow-hide upholstered furniture they'd just bought, spent much of the night telling me how wonderful and fetching I was. I almost couldn't fit out of the door when we left... my head was just that big. Ahhh, I'm loving New York.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home