Monday, May 08, 2006

Lessons from the Race and other News

"'Tis a lesson you should heed, Try, try again. If at first you don't succeed, Try, try again."
William Edward Hickson

Things I learned about the race:
1) Follow the training schedule (it's there for a reason).
2) Don't let the race be your longest ride ever. Works in a marathon... not so well in a tri.
3) Don't wait for any other racers. Keep your eyes on the prize -- the finish line.
4) Keep pedaling. Try not to get off the bike.
5) Remember the clock. This is a timed race and you're racing the clock as well as yourself and the other racers.
6) Don't ride too leisurely. Don't wear your legs out, but don't ride like it's Sunday in the park. This is the race.
7) Learn what your hydration needs are and don't drink too much (though erring on the side of drinking more is probably better)
8) Learn basic bike maintenance.
9) Practice with strong riders/runners/swimmers.
10) Know the course map backwards and forwards. Do not be surprised by hills/valleys, etc.
11) This is not the end of the world. Try again. Now I'm thinking about doing a half-ironman at the end of July or the beginning of October. Stay tuned.

Things I did well:
1) Had fun. I truly made sure to enjoy the swim and the bike. It was beautiful!
2) Eat and drink enough. I definitely had enough nutrition and hydration during my race. I felt good.
3) Be prepared. I was prepared to fix the chain problem and I was prepared for all of my transitions.
4) Stick with it. It was challenging, but I made it to the end.
4) Keep it in perspective. I know that not finishing this race is hardly the end of the world and what I did accomplish was pretty huge.

Other news:
P. is my boyfriend. :) I'll share more about him in another post.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am still so impressed and happy for you! what an amazing accomplishment!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Hip Girlz said...

Thank you!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home