Thursday, August 04, 2005

Quote of the Day and Musings on Being Back

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."
-Dawna Markova

I got back from my trip to Europe on Tuesday night after a very long 30+ hour trip back. The nice thing is that I got to spend some time with my law school friend Ed on a long layover in London. It was also good because even though I tried very hard (to no avail) to manifest an upgrade, I got the best economy seating situations possible (emergency exit row in one case and row to myself in another).

I'm back and a little jetlagged, but it's nice to be back. I came home to discover that my garden had been transformed in my absence. I now have 5 fruit trees -- lime, lemon, orange, guava, and passion fruit. I have a little kitchen garden with sage, oregano, mint, tomatoes, parsley. I have night of blooming jasmine, calla lillies, hydrangeas, poppies, and all sorts of roses. I also have flowers that I don't even know the name of. All I know is that it's looking beautiful.

I am trying to focus on the enjoyment of being home (as opposed to my usual post-vacation doldrums). In fact, since I'm effectively living in New York right now, I'm trying to see this as another part of my vacation. I'm going to see a concert at the Santa Monica Pier tonight and am going to enjoy the feeling of the ocean breeze on my face and the sand between my toes. Life is good.

Here are some pictures from my trip:


Square in Algeciras (where my parents live)


Me making friends with a monkey in Gibraltar


The view from my lounge chair


Snake "charmer" in Tangiers (this guy just blew his flute for a second and then his assistant pulled the rattle snake out of the bag and then kicked it until it started to rattle. Then he promptly put it back into the bag.)


Chris and I having fun with camels


Chris and I at the family reunion

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home