Friday, July 01, 2005

I've got a new attitude!

Lucky for Mama Gena's bottom line that Elizabeth didn't call me today. I woke up feeling FANTASTIC and I think it's because I had such a fun night last night. My dear friend Jeroen invited me to go see an amazing singer named Lhasa at the Bowery Ballroom last night. I guess his ticket said the doors opened at 8, but she didn't go on until 9:30. So after realizing we had an hour and a half to kill, we walked back down the street and entered into this place called Little Charlie's that was advertising "Clams & Martinis." Well, that was too good to pass up even though the outside of the joint made the place look like a hole in the wall. Don't judge a book by it's cover!

We walked in to the most charming East Village lounge, with a quirky, slightly drunk and slightly hungover female bartender, and a super nice concert crowd. We ordered some very strong drinks... I had the supremely tasty and undeniably dangerous, Metropolitan Martini and Jeroen had some margaritas. We ordered baked clams, calamari, and sauteed spinach and mushrooms. The food was SOOOOO good! I was positively orgasmic by the time we left to go to the concert.

Well, Lhasa's amazing music certainly helped keep those feelings flowing! When I found out I was going to the concert I read a description of her music -- "Bjork doing mariachi music." It's not that far off. Lhasa is more than that though. Her music is very worldly. Really is other-worldly. Or maybe trans-worldly. It almost defies description. Lhasa generally sings in spanish, french, and english. She also sang an arabic song. Her voice is beautiful and haunting. It is evocative of Bjork, but not quite as harsh or jarring. I was floored. In addition to her amazing songs, Lhasa blew me away with the way she spoke. She'd take a break to describe each song. Her descriptions were so poetic, I was hooked on every word and just carried away by the melodious images. I floated out of there last night (though not before buying her CD - The Living Road).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home