Monday, August 15, 2005

Weekend in DC

I went back to my hometown last weekend for my friend Connie's birthday. I forgot how hot DC is in August. For much of the weekend I felt a bit like a wilted tulip. I had remembered DC being over air-conditioned in the summer, but this trip it felt like no matter where we went it was still too warm.

Despite the heat, it was great to be back. Connie picked me up at the metro station and took me to Montgomery Mall. She was looking for shoes to go with her birthday dress and I needed a strapless bra (not really the easiest thing for me to find). After a couple hours in the mall I put my arm around Connie and said "this is just like old times." She laughed. All we did in high school was go around that mall. After shopping, getting mani/pedis, and showering for the big night we went to Guapo's for the big dinner.

Mary (other high school friend) met us out with her adorable baby boy -- well, he's 15 months now. Boy... they have a lot of energy at that age. I chased him around for 20 minutes and was ready to call it a night. Can't imagine doing that for 24 hours! Anyway, we had dinner and everyone really enjoyed the margaritas. Connie's parents especially enjoyed them. Her mom kept saying "My daughter thinks I'm drunk, but I'm not drunk," in a way that confirmed her intoxication. It was quite amusing.

After the dinner, we all headed to the Yacht Club of Bethesda. That place is a trip! No one could believe I'd never heard of this local institution. It's a place for the 40+ crowd and is hosted by the famous Tommy the Matchmaker. At least, the club insists he's famous. There are newspaper articles about him plastered everywhere. If you look closely, you'll notice that it's the same three Washington Post articles re-copied and pasted up in various sizes. Regardless, he does hold a certain amount of notoriety (we saw him on the local news earlier that afternoon). The Yacht Club is very dark, pretends it's a cruise, and plays lots of 80s music and disco to a distinctly older set. I've filed this one away for when I'm a 50-year old divorcee (yes, I know there are a lot of assumptions inherent in that statement).

After an hour of a half of getting hit on by octogenarians, we decided to head to another spot. We went to the much younger, incredibly more frat-like, Caddy's. It was very hot in there and the place closed down about a half an hour after we arrived. It was just as well, I'd had a non-alcoholic night and it was all quite a lot to handle sober.

Yesterday we woke up and walked around Bethesda in the heat. Not much going on when it's that hot. We brunched at the Pancake House and then hit Blockbusters for Napoleon Dynamite (great flick). We met Connie's parents for an early dinner at a pizza joint, then I was off to the train station. It was a good weekend and I was glad to have been able to celebrate Connie's special day with her.

I will post pictures soon (as soon as I find the cable to connect my camera to the computer).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home