Thursday, September 29, 2005

How to Beat the Doldrums

"Did you know...that when you walk past a flower, whether it be in
somebody's garden or on a vacant hillside, the flower will always smile at you. The most polite way to respond, I've been told, is to cheerfully return the smile."

--Ron Atchison


It's so strange to be back. I'm really missing New York and going through the post-vacation doldrums. I wasn't technically on vacation in New York, but I was on vacation from my regular life. Now, I'm back and am feeling a little blah.

Yesterday I decided that I needed to do something very special to make myself feel better about being in LA. One of the most special things about being here is having the beach. I decided that I would dash out of work on the early side and go check out the sunset and catch a happy hour. I convinced Susan and Nicole to meet me at the Lobster. Later Susan's boyfriend Greg met us out too. With it's amazing views (overlooking the ocean and Santa Monica Pier) and very tasty eats and drinks, the Lobster is always a good spot to go to appreciate the best of LA.

It was really nice to see the ocean and the sunset, but I'm still feeling a bit bummed. One of my least favorite things about LA is that I find that many of my conversations here are very superficial ... tv always seems to be a major topic of conversation. This is particularly unsatisfying for me because I don't watch tv. Last night's topic -- which character from Sex in the City are we most like. Everyone at first says Carrie, though I felt that I really am most like Carrie, though I do have some Samantha in me. We did talk about other things actually, but that exchange underscored what I appreciate least about this city.

So, I woke up this morning feeling less satisfied about being here than ever before. I decided I had to snap myself out of it. I bought myself and my secretary a bouquet each of beautiful flowers. A couple hours later a gorgous bouquet of roses arrived from my parents as an early birthday present. Those things gave me a huge pick me up -- that and eating lunch at Patinette Cafe at MOCA. The food is expensive and beyond mediocre, but the ambiance is so nice. Even though it's right in the heart of Bunker Hill, you feel like you've completely escaped the financial district -- it has a great relaxed and artsy vibe. They also have $1 glasses of wine on Thursday. I'm a little disappointed with myself because I did not take advantage of that (I do still have to work), but it was still absolutely lovely.


My beautiful flowers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home