Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pre-Relaxing Vacation Stress

I woke up this morning and realized to my horror that I'd forgotten my passport in LA (I'm traveling to Canada this evening). Though most Americans seem to think of Canada as some sort of 51st state, it's actually a different country and they don't let just anyone cross over their border.

So, I know very well that Canada is a different country, but was suffering from the "51st State Syndrome." Most of the day I was thinking I'd be fine with just my driver's license (I'd driven into Canada before with just that), but decided at the last minute I'd call and just check. I called the consulate and heard a recorded message by a cheery sounding Canadian letting me know that I need to have "proof of citizenship" and that a driver's license is "not proof of citizenship." So, I have a car coming in 45 minutes and I go into panic mode. How the hell am I going to prove my citizenship?! First, I called my parents. "Dad, do you have my birth certificate there in Spain." "I think so." "Can you please fax it to me?" "Let me see and I'll call you back." So, while my dad is searching for my birth certificate and trying to figure out how to fax the oversized document, I call Trey.

"Trey, are you home?" "Yeah." "Can you go into my room and see if you can find my passport?" After much searching around, he finally finds it in my nightstand hidden under some large orange and hot pink feathers (don't ask). "What do you need me to do?" he kindly asked. "Please fax it to me." "Sure." So, off he goes in search of a Kinko's.

So, 15 minutes later I have what I hope will be the necessary tools to get into the country. I have a copy of my birth certificate and a copy of my passport. I also have a valid driver's license and a smile that could melt the heart of an ogre. :) I also have tears. Those can come out if need be. Oh, and there's always cleavage. I'll pull out all the stops to get into that country. Now, I just have to figure out how to get back...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a headache! i sympathize with your dilemma. hope everything works out okay!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home