Thursday, May 11, 2006

Poetry Thursday

It's Poetry Thursday and I'm going to post a poem that was introduced to me by Christina. It's on my desk, so I get to see it every day.

Why I Wake Early

Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who made the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety –

best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light –
good morning, good morning, good morning.

Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.

~ Mary Oliver ~

4 Comments:

Blogger isea said...

hi, i stumbled onto your blog while looking for a mary oliver poem on google. i just wanted to thank you for the beautiful quote from baudelaire. sorry if i'm intruding.

you can visit my blog at http://satabingdagat.blogspot.com

('sa tabi ng dagat' means 'by the sea')

6:28 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

Love this poem. I read on another blog today. I also selected a Mary Oliver poem.

7:02 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

So many fans of Mary Oliver's poetry! Thanks for sharing this one. Beautiful!

3:57 PM  
Blogger White Square said...

Thanks for sharing this..A morning walk is always refreshing!

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home