Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Poetry Thursday and a word on old friends

Here is my Poetry Thursday submission. I'm not quite sure what it is about these 13th Century Persian mystical poets, but their poems just grab my heart.

If God Invited You To A Party
by Hafiz

If God
Invited you to a party
And said,

'Everyone
In the ballroom tonight
Will be my special
Guest...'

How would you then treat them
When you
Arrived?

Indeed, indeed!

And I know
There is no one in this world

Who
Is not upon
His Jeweled Dance
Floor



In other news, I've been spending lots of time catching up with old friends who I hadn't seen in quite a while. On Sunday night I had dinner with Cornelia, Monday I had lunch with Mary. Tuesday night P and I hosted Rob and Corinne for dinner. Last night I had my book club meeting (we hadn't met in quite a few months). It always feels so good to re-establish ties with good friends. Seeing how effortless it is to reconnect always reminds me of why we're friends in the first place.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love this poem.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Rethabile said...

I like Hafiz, though I'm more familiar with Khayyam (maybe because he condones wine-drinking). Cheers.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home