Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Happy Hanukkah!

"To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle,
Every cubic inch of space is a miracle."

~Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

And a bonus quote:

"Most Texans think Hanukkah is some sort of duck call."
~Richard Lewis

Sorry to any Texans out there. I just thought that was funny.

So, today is the second day of Hanukkah. I think. Last night was the first night. Does that make today the first day or the second day? All I know is that tonight is the second night. I feel like I have to get more knowledgeable about Judaism since my beloved hubby is a member of the tribe. He's not very religious and he doesn't really care, but I care. And I LOVE holidays. I'll take any excuse to celebrate.

So the first thing I tried to do was to learn how to spell Hanukkah/Chanukah. Evidently if it begins with an "H" there are two "k's", but if it begins with a "Ch" then there is only one "k." And regardless of the spelling there is only one "n."

The second thing I learned to do was to make potato latkes. We lit the menorah and P. said a prayer. I then got cracking on the latkes, and I have to say they were good! Perfectly crispy golden brown deep friend potato goodness. We had them with applesauce and a delish grilled salmon that P. cooked up.

I'm looking forward to celebrating the rest of the Festival of Lights, but I think for the sake of my waistline, I might take it easy on the potato pancakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home